Create pfSense Firewall Appliance
Firewalls are important security tools that allow you to monitor and manage incoming and outgoing traffic for a network. CaaB allows you to provision and use two different firewalls (pfSense and Sophos) as well as the option to upload a custom firewall appliance and link it with your existing VMs and networks.
pfSense is an inexpensive firewall solution that is available in fully managed and self-managed configurations. It is open source and includes all the core features expected of an enterprise appropriate firewall appliance. The self-managed option can be provisioned directly through the platform on a minimum-cost general-purpose VM for roughly $15.00 per month. To maintain an ideal level of security it is recommended a separate pfSense firewall is assigned to each network of VMs you wish to protect.
Create a pfSense Firewall:
- Go to the “Create New Server” tab of the platform, which can be found under “My Cloud” in the left panel.
- Select the region and datacenter where you virtual servers are located.
- Go to the “Services” tab of the server creation wizard.
- Select “pfSense” and the latest version.
- Choose the General CPU type, 1 CPU, 2 GB RAM, and 20GB SSD.
- Configure the networking – either create a new vLAN which you would like the firewall to manage or connect the firewall to an existing vLAN.
- Select a name and password for the server.
- Select “Monthly” billing.
- Click “Create Server”.